Earthquake in southern China kills at least 398, injures more than 1,400
At least 398 people have died and more than 1,800 have been injured after an earthquake struck south-west China, toppling homes and sending residents fleeing into the streets, the state broadcaster, CCTV, reported.
The 6.1-magnitude quake hit Ludian county, in a mountainous area about 225 miles north-east of Kunming, the capital of Yunnan province, the state news agency Xinhua reported. State media said the tremor was felt in the neighbouring provinces of Guizhou and Sichuan.
Li Keqiang. the prime minister, landed in Yunnan on Monday morning to visit the disaster zone as the search effort for survivors continued.
Xinhua and state broadcaster CCTV said on Monday that 398 people were killed, citing rescuers. CCTV said 1,891 were injured, three were missing and 29,400 had been evacuated. The death toll was expected to rise, once rescuers reached remote communities to assess casualties.
Photographs showed rescuers digging through rubble and taking the injured to hospital. Teams were still trying to reach some of the remoter areas such as Longtoushan township, the epicentre of the quake.
One resident from Longquan village said: "All houses in the town have been damaged by the earthquake and at least two thirds of them so badly that they could not be used anymore.
"Every few minutes there are people being carried away from the rubble."
Read the full article at: theguardian.com
Drone video: Devastating aftermath of China 6.5 earthquake